Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Gifted

Gifted, The, Ann H. Gabhart, 978-0-8007-3455-8

I am finding myself more and more drawn to and loving the Shaker novels that Ann H. Gabhart writes, she peaks my curiousity about the Shakers and provides such a solid description of them that I find myself now recognizing their ways when reading her books. This is only one in a series of books of Gabhart's that I've read and every time I find myself lost in the book and really enjoying it! One thing I appreciate about Gabhart's book is that she doesn't romanticize the Shaker religion and its confines, she presents it as it  is, and shows those who leave it as neither being in the wrong or in the right (just that they are in what's right for them).
This story is focused on Jessamine who after losing her grandmother is brought to the shaker community to be raised by the sisters. As she grows in the shaker ways, she also finds herself inexpliably drawn to the world and all its wonders. After a chance meeting with a stranger her world turns around and she finds herself thrust straight into this world that she's always wondered about. Fantastic book that was absolutely wonderful!
"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group".


No comments: