Friday, September 30, 2011

The doctor's lady

Doctor's Lady, The, Jody Hedlund, 978-0-7642-0833-1


In all honesty, I'm a little torn on this book. There were many parts I liked and all in all it was a highly enjoyable book. However one of the main characters (the Doctor) I had a hard time liking him! I found him arrogant and condescending a lot of the time. But I also realize that those kinds of attitudes towards women were quite common to the time so the author stuck quite true to the historical period I suppose!
The novel focuses on Priscilla White and her desire to become a missionary and serve in India. When she's told by the missions board that she'll need to be married in order to become a missionary she finds herself forced to marry into somewhat of a "business arrangement". We read all about her struggles and the difficulties of being among the first women to make their way into the west.
Over all I did like the book and look forward to reading more from this author!

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

No comments: