Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Bonhoeffer: pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy

I have to begin by saying how much I truly love reading books about the courage and bravery of those who stood up against the evil that was the Nazi party. Its one thing for us today to stand up and say its wrong and pay no cost/punishment for it. But for those who not only were in the midst of it, who not only said it was wrong, but also stood up against the evil that took place. I have the deepest respect and admiration for them, and hope that the lessons I've learned from them will make me even half the person they've shown to be.
It took me a bit to get into this book, it was so unlike many that I've read (not in a bad way though). It was thought provoking, one can't read this book mindlessly looking solely for entertainment. Bonhoeffer was one of those books that although its a difficult read is well worth the effort to hear the amazing acts of courage displayed. Honestly, this is one of those books that I don't care what religion you are, You NEED to read this. It gives you a deeper respect and look into the sacrifices that so many went to to defeat such an evil empire. Its one thing to live a life of faith, (such as Bonhoeffer did) but to face certain death and hold unwaveringly to that faith is something to be commended.
Truly, this is a book that I will be recommending to anyone and everyone.


"Book has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available now at your favourite bookseller.

No comments: