Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A change of fortune

Cover Art

Upon first glance of this book, I had thought it would be a fairly simple and silly read. I don't often find books that deal with someone "masquerading" as another to be overly serious or thought provoking.
"A change of fortune" started out slowly and slightly silly, but had such humor to it that I found myself not minding. And throughout the book, it seemed to keep a good balance between humor and depth. While there were some incredibly funny parts of the book, we still could follow a story line and see a sense of danger/drama. I loved the way the characters spoke, Jen Turano wrote such witty and charming conversations between the characters that I immediately liked them!
In the book we follow the life of Lady Eliza Sumner, who poses as a governess in America after her fortune is stolen. Through some twists and turns Eliza makes some good friends who begin to champion her cause.
I loved how strong the female characters were, there are so many times in Historical fiction that people almost pick up the attitude of that time and assume that the characters in the books need to be timid and meek. I loved how strong and confidant and independent the Lady Eliza was portrayed along with a whole slew of other female characters!
I loved this book and will be looking for more from this author!

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".
  




No comments: