Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lifelong Love Affair

Cover Art

To be perfectly honest, I'm not a huge fan of marriage books, they seem to fall into a couple of categories, either the author is trying to prove how wonderful their marriage is and calling others to get up to "their standards" or they give fluffy advice that seems more like common sense than a new revelation. Fortunately This book, didn't fall into either of these categories! First off, the book was personal, the author gave examples and his own life stories (and not just happy fluffy stories, but showed his struggles as well) that expanded on and help the reader understand/make applicable what Evans was speaking about. The book wasn't boring, and that was a huge bonus for me. I'm a huge fiction fan, so if I'm going to take the time to read a devotional, marriage help, self help, etc... book then it had better teach me and not bore me. I don't have time or a desire to fill my relaxation times with boring. I want to be challenged, I want to learn something new. I don't want to open a book and read something I already knew! This book was not only challenging, it was entertaining. The Author (Jimmy Evans) has a great flow to his writing, and comes across as quite witty throughout the book, so I really appreciated it! He offered relevant insight, while also backing up what he said with well placed Scripture. I didn't find that he took anything really out of context to prove his points either, so that was a bonus!
All in all though, I'd really recommend this book, no matter where you are in your marriage. If you're just starting out, or already in a comfortable place with your spouse, I'd encourage you to pick up this book. Evans has some great advice and some fantastic insights, you'll be glad you read it!

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group".
  

No comments: