Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What your Husband isn't Telling You

Cover Art

I'm wavering on my like/dislike of this book. There were parts of the book that I thought were well thought out and really insightful. The David Murrow did a great job at explaining in an easy to understand way, some of the needs of our husbands, and why they think the way they do.
However with that said, there were parts of the book that bothered me, two specific things within it that really stood out.
First, I found that Chapter 8 was fairly similar (in concept, not text) to a book called "For Women Only: What You Need to Know About the Inner Lives of Men" written by Shaunti Feldhahn. (published in 2004)
Her book deals with much of what is found in chapter 8, and at times I'm bothered by the similarities/un-originality of the chapter. But it isn't enough of a big deal that it caused me to put the book away permanently, and he did have much more in his book than that single chapter.
Secondly, I found some of his views of women (and men at times) a little silly and the stereotypes both present and exaggerated. Most specifically in chapter 10 when he refers to the masculine and feminine ways of child rearing and he provides a chart with the Masculie/feminine ways. (Ex; with "you failed" being a masculine feature and "helicopter parenting" being a feminine one) I found myself rolling my eyes a bit with this one, and while I can see (slightly) where he was coming from, I found it a little over the top and was more of a generalization/stereotype than a reality.
All in all, I did learn a fair bit from the book, and at times did enjoy it, so on that level I would recommend it. However women will need to be prepared to see and sift through some rather stereotypical portrayals.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

No comments: